Jan 20, 2006

Brazil...

"just got in yesterday from brazil. i miss the heat. i miss always sweating. i miss the beaches. i especially miss all the sounds...how brazil creeps into your ears in the mornings."— my brother

...dream: i was a woman. i was in China. i was in a bicycle race with thousands of other men and women. we seemed to be racing downhill through sand dunes toward the beach. it was imperative to keep to a certain side of the road. thousands of bicyclists yelling at each other "do you know if it's left or right!" it was understood that the Chinese Government was forcing us to race. it was also understood that the Chinese Government would be executing people depending on how they did in the race. i reached the beach/ water first ostensibly winning the race. i called the Chinese Government to let them know i won and to claim my prize (my life?). the Chinese Government told me that because i had cheated by sitting down on the bicycle seat during the race they were coming to "collect" me. i knew i hadn't cheated by sitting down. for some reason i knew this rule and made sure during the race not to break it. i violently spat as many combinations of curses i could think of into the phone at the Chinese Government (i knew this was a MAJOR coup, like the collected "i" of the racers was being voiced). i knew i only had a few minutes before the "van" showed up to collect me. i found a pool cue on the beach. i quickly broke it in half. i quickly hid one half of the sticks in the cast on my left arm. then i quickly concealed the other half in my right breast plate (suddenly i was wearing women's midieval armor). i was being transported in the van with a group of other "collected" bicyclists. i saw an opertunity. (at this point the dream sort of took a narrative turn, as if i was telling myself what myself just did without actually experiencing what i just did). i slid the stick from my cast arm and thrust it into the face of one of the Government guards sitting in the back seat. i then took the stick from my breast plate and impaled the Government guard sitting in the front seat. i quickly took the gun from the Government guard sitting in the back seat and directed the Guard-driver, at gunpoint to take me somewhere safe. (at this point it's hard to make a narrative/ connection to the next part of the dream). suddenly my consciousness split. i was both a young African-American woman and myself (as John). we were married? boyfriend/girlfriend/ not sure. the "van" broke down in what seemed to me like the American Deep South (weeping willow trees, hills). we pulled into a grocery store parking lot. everything seemed a bit menacing. i remember seeing members of the community wading around in a kiddie pool in the middle of the parking lot. i remember i thought this was strange and went back to the "van" to get my digital camera. i remember kneeling down in the parking lot and snapping a picture of an old man with a white beard in a brown suit sliding into the water. myself (the African-American woman and John) got back into the van.

...i woke up and wrote it down.

...currently listening to Luckyiam.psc Extra Credit 2...

No comments: