Dec 7, 2006

is Joanna Newsom a bad word? or, This Is Not A Review...

some people seem really concerned about some people praising her new album...which is just weird.

Y's (new album) has been on repeat for me since it was released. Y's freaks me out. Y's makes me really happy, makes me smile, makes me smile in my car, makes me want to chew gum while smiling in my car. Y's makes me smile so hard i tear up. Y's reminds me of reading The Wind In The Willows and Aesop's Fables for the first time. Y's reminds me of my old neighborhood on San Simeon. Y's reminds me of my mom's lullabies. Y's reminds me of my old neighborhood at Fulton and Masonic. Y's reminds me of 2001. Y's makes you lament the "i'll just download it" culture because Y's is only that much better when following along with the lyrics/ liner notes.

is it an ownership thing? i sense it is. some people seem angry that Joanna is sort of breaking out (could it be that Jimmy Kimmel appearance?). i don't know, underground/ independent snobbery gets you nowhere, and you look ridiculous posing it. "you" being "some people"...

i think i can honestly say that Y's is one of the most stunning pieces of lyric composition i've heard in a long long long time. hyperbole? maybe, but it's hard talking about the record without using it.

love,
OM!

No comments: