Sep 7, 2007

Attention Span 2007

1. Brent Cunningham| Bird & Forest| Ugly Duckling Presse| 2005

Drinking whiskey with Brent in the kitchen (any
kitchen!) is almost as fun as his book (in a good
way)...


2. Small Town PZA Vol. 2| Logan Ryan Smith| 2006

RIP Zane.


3. Musee Mechanique| Rodney Koeneke| Blazevox| 2006

Rodney is a wonderful person. Rodney looks a little
like my brother James and/or Liev Schrieber. I have
one of Rodney's infamous reading "set lists." As a BA
at SF STATE I once wrote a really really crappy poem
called "Musee Mechanique." Rodney's book is the
opposite of that.


4. Incubation A Space for Monsters| Bhanu Kapil|Leon Works| 2006

Bhanu likes to say "interiority" and "liminal" in
person more than on the page, Bhanu once fed me sugar
from her hand, she said "now John, tilt your head
back and open your mouth, good..." and then she sort of
threw a fistfull of sugar into my mouth and i liked
it.


5. The Singers| Logan Ryan Smith| Dusie Press| 2007

This is what I posted to my blog a while ago "if you
can get past the totally inapropriate cover this is
one of the best poetry books of 2007, or Steve Evans
Attention Span 2007 material for sure."


6. I Have Not Been Able To Get Through To Everyone|Anna Moschovakis| Turtle Point| 2006

I read Anna's book on my stoop with beer. I want to
re-read Anna's book on my stoop with beer. I don't
want that experience to stop.


7. a poem a movie & a poem| Nick Moudry| Braincase Press| 2003

I didn't know who Nick Moudry was until recently
reading The Tiny #1. Nick Moudry's poems in The Tiny #1
made me sit up in bed and go "who the fuck is Nick
Moudry?"...I posted something to my blog stating as
much and then a few weeks later Alli Warren handed me
Moudry's chapbook a poem a movie & a poem, I read it
on my stoop with beer and was sad when it was over.


8. Pussey!| Daniel Clowes| Fantagraphics| 2006

I don't know, maybe i'm just one of these people that
thinks that Daniel Clowes comics shouldn't be made
into movies. Ghostworld sucked, so did Art School
Confidential. I recently dated a girl who was into the
60's as like a genre, a personal aesthetic. Her hair,
wardrobe and music were all from the 60's. I almost
bought her a copy of Pussey! but then thought that she
might resent me for it...anyway, we're not dating
anymore.


9. Roadkillovercoat| Busdriver| Epitaph Records| 2007

"and in Baypoint/ Pittsburg I suck"...i was at that
show in 2000...he didn't suck. i was at his show in
2006 at the Great American Music Hall with Young
and my brother. Again, he didn't suck. In fact, he
was so good he rendered the headliners, Deerhoof,
moot.


10. D-Structure| Apparel| Lower Haight| 2007

I play records here every Friday night. They shit all
over Upper Playground. This place is my sanctuary.
Plus they have the best t-shirt lines in SF. Plus i'm
broke because of that.

11. Chinese Notebook| Demosthenes Agrafiotis| Erato| 1988

This is Self-aggrandizement but what the hell. With
Angelos Sakkis, I recently translated Demosthenes's
Chinese Notebook. I wouldn't have spent a year doing
that if it sucked. It's very good.

No comments: