Jan 20, 2008

The Doors



currently listening to The Doors first album, if you know me you know how i feel about The Doors...like many other pubescent kids The Doors were really my first independent foray into music fandom...found out about them on my own, developed a serious devotion to the band, bought everything "The Doors" i could lay down chedder for, had the giant psychedelic Morrison poster hanging on my wall, would be sporting 1 of 6 Doors (Cupertino flea market what?!) t-shirts on any given day of the week...owned and read the complete The Doors lyrics book, owned Oliver Stone's The Doors and watched it under the influence i-can't-count-how-many-times...to summerize, all the cliches you can think of relating to a Doors fan, that was me...but, BUT i credit Jim Morrison and The Doors for my interest in poetry in general...after i got into The Doors, Sophmore year, i bought a pretty little cloth journal in Chinatown and started my first poetry notebook...and the rest is history...i spent everyday writing in that thing, sometimes i would take my lunches in my car so i would have the luxery of writing in privacy...that was my life, poetry and "experimenting" and The Doors...it's *sort* of embarassing but not really, every kid has to have that band, beit Joy Division or NWA or The Ramones or Nirvana., we all had that band that sort of catapulted us from pubescence to post-pubescence...The Doors were that band for me...they represented everything mystical about being a teenager, that syncretic thrust that compels a kid to want to experience *everything* he can get his hands on just for the sake of experience...when i listen to The Doors now i still get that shiver...i got to see Ray Manzarek play a solo show at The Great American Music Hall when i was at SFSU in 2002...and even after all those years it was like seeing a childhood god incarnate...seriously, i had lot's of perspective at that point but still...it was magical...

and this post concludes my Sunday afternoon bender...i'm going to make some chili and watch The Brood with my space heater blaring...xoxo.

6 comments:

shasta daisy said...

American Prayer...nothing better!!!

Dimitri said...

"...my space heater blaring..."

I totally read this as Myspace Hater blaring. I, for just a teensy, tinsy second thought you were into some rapper called Myspace Hater. Yikes....right??

John Sakkis said...

dude, everytime i type 'my space heater' even i get confused.

if you can think of a better way of saying it let me know. "the space heater that is in my room" just doesn' cut it.

Unknown said...

no, JM was my god before he was your god. Ever listen to Doors Live? That crazy bastard in the back with that cackling knowing, "Morisson. . . " well, that was me

Unknown said...

I called you up to anoint the earth
I called you to announce sadness falling like burned skin
I called you to wish you well
To glory in self like a new monster
And now I call you to pray

shasta daisy said...

AWAKE...
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one.
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity
First thing you see.
A vast radiant beach in a cool jeweled moon
Couples naked race down by it's quiet side
And we laugh like soft, mad children
Smug in the wooly cotton brains of infancy
The music and voices are all around us. Choose they croon the Ancient Ones The time has come again Choose now, they croon Beneath the moon Beside an ancient lake Enter again the sweet forest Enter the hot dream Come with us Everything is broken up and dances.