Mar 3, 2008

weekend highlights...

Friday

hanging out with my brother at Molotov's

hanging out with Steve and Logan at Whiskey and The Castle

mexican food

lowlights

Armand going home to eat dinner

Saturday

playing a 7 hour set at D-Structure, from 2pm to 9pm

the New Leaf art opening at D-Struc

drinking whiskey after whiskey after whiskey

talking to this girl who i thought was my friend Casey Cox for half an hour outside the store then realizing this girl was actually a Canadian fashion designer who lives in the neighborhood...doppelwhat like crazy though...when she walked up i freaking bear hugged her, and she bear hugged back...so, not my fault...

getting the balls to talk to pretty girls

threatening to tackle Kevin

pretty girls being into me talking to them

telling a pretty girl that i think she's "adorable" (risky!) and her telling me "i think your totally adorable too..."

yay

talking about girls with Kay and Kay saying something like "you and your brother love women...every time you and your brother talk about girls you do it with tons of love and respect..."

and Jon saying "that's because he was raised by an amazing mother..."

and me saying "yeah..."

getting a number from the really pretty girl i was gaga over all night...

walking to Molotov's after the show (1:30am) with Kay and Jon and getting a text from the pretty girl that says "i expect you to call me..." with a winky emoticon...

yay

stumbling home (i never do that! for real...) and throwing on my favorite comfort food movie, The Fellowship Of The Ring, and passing out maybe 15min into it...(i've watched the first 15 minutes of LOTR probably over 300 times)

Sunday

not really being able to move from my bed

eating canned cornbeef and two eggs for lunch

watching Dead Ringers (whoa, amazing, really really!)

looking up all the literature on Dead Ringers after the movie...reading about 50 pages of a pdf book (The Twins) about the Marcus brothers whose lives the movie was loosly based on...feeling even weirder about the movie knowing that it's based on actual events...

eating pistachio nuts and raisons and an apple for dinner, detox.

learning that Everyday Caitlin might be my neighbor soon, a block down neighbor...

sleeping a natural deep sleep.

remembering my dreams this morning

knowing that Meg arrives from Brooklyn tomorrow afternoon and is staying a full glorious week with me...i can't wait to see baby.

lowlights

eating that canned cornbeef...i seriously, with no exageration, think that this stuff tastes like animal food, maybe dog food, i don't think it tastes like human food...but i'm a little poor so sometimes i eat what i scavange from my parent's house...i intentionally burned the hell out of it to try and mask the animal-like taste and texture...and then i drowned each forkfull in katsup again to try and mask the dogfood taste...it didn't work and i ate only half of it but still felt bad for wasting food...this is my "don't waste anything" Greek upbringing...

8 comments:

Dimitri said...

Julia??? She was adorable.

John Sakkis said...

haha, yup, julia...

Magie said...

I'll eat semi moldy food because my "Its Haram to waste food" upbringing.

...Seriously, tear around the moldy part and eat the rest.

John Sakkis said...

and that's why we're soul mates mags...

i seriously cringe when i see people wasting food...this is all my dad...he would go into the garbage and pull out an apple core that i had just thrown in there and say "yanni, are you kidding me? is this how you eat an apple? look at all this wasted apple..."

my dad will also eat all the fruit with rotten spots...cutting away the rot, but he goes for that stuff first...and it makes sense, he grew up in a family of 11 in a two bedroom apartment in pireaus greece in the 30's and 40's...you didn't waste food in that situation...

and now i'm a total freak for not wasting too...

this has been a family anecdote...

Magie said...

My dad drinks the sauce that is left over from cooking a chicken (like the marinade) to not waste it. Once he cooked mushrooms and drank the juice from that as well. Its gross. I've expressed how this grosses me out, but he just ignores me. He will practically eat the bone on meats, and at one point I thought he was a real life garbage disposal.

But this is because him too grew up with 12 sibilings in a apartment - working on a rice farm.

I still will never forget when I was in Egypt and I walked into there kicthen, and there was a bird..head and eyes and all sitting in the sink ready to be eaten that night.

But not many people get that mentality...I'm glad you do.

M Steven A said...

I totally saw you for like 5 minutes.

BTW dates on dairy and eggs?: good for at LEAST three more days. Its not "eat by" folks, its "sell by".

John Sakkis said...

the major highlight of my weekend was seeing matthew arnone for like 5 minutes...

Julia said...

I'm glad that the winky emoticon was not a lowlight.
But seriously, how lame are emoticons, when you really think about it?


;)