May 14, 2008

BHANU KAPIL writes me a letter...

"Merk, alumnus of Naropa proper, you are a baby...Baby-skate. I re-name you in the name of all subterfuge, distance, pleasure, and, of course, every childhood known to man -- every record of 1985 in existence. Now I am talking smack. Hey Baby-skate, hey Happiness Incarnate, ciao."

i love Bhanu, having a conversation with Bhanu is about as liminal as you can get...she'll be talking about tea and mean Frankenstein (and neither), she'll be talking about astronauts but mean New York City (but also astronauts), she'll be walking around the room asking you to remember the first time you wanted to be a 4-dimensional creature and then she'll ask you to open your mouth and she'll pour a bunch of sugar in it. Bhanu is all sincerity and curiosity and that's what's so wonderufl about her, there's not an ounce of "being like this for the sake of that"...Bhanu is kind of the beat...i miss Bhanu and how she says "Love Land" instead of "Loveland"...she says "at my house in Love Land just outside Boulder"...and then she went and called me "Baby-skate"!!! BHANU has a blog by which i mean, Bhanu is sitting at a picnic table at Naropa reciting the lyrics to M.I.A.'s "Hombre" to no one in particular.

1 comment:

everydaycaitlin said...

my dad's nickname for me is Baby-Skate...weird.