Jun 22, 2008

13 Greek Axioms...

1. contrary to the Mediterranean Diet, Greeks are fat and sallow

2. eurotrash is a lifestyle

3. find me an honest Greek cab driver and i'll toss your salad

4. Greek beer tastes like cemetery water

5. Greek cigarettes taste like donkey manure

5. donkey manure smells like old man poo

6. just because there are steps doesn't mean they lead anywhere

7. you will take lots of pictures of rocks

8. you will regret taking those pictures

9. if you speak Greek they will speak English

10. Greeks can make fun of your Greek accent but you cannot make fun of their English accent

11. if you have to pee, go in a bush, no one cares

12. never trust a restaurant called Zorba's

13. don't say "opa!"

5 comments:

François Luong said...

What did they say when you said 'opa'?

rodney k said...

Hi John,

Yassou! Your post reminds me of the old man I saw peeing in a bush in a park in the center of Athens, Acropolis looming in the background; and of our hostel-owner's rage that we'd been doublecharged by our cabbie for the ride from the airport to Plaka (this was just before the Greek Olympics, when Greeks feared the whole world would shame them for their compatriots' tourist-leaching ways.) My "efharisto" and "parakalo" wormed me further into Samite hearts than I'd expected though, so there's that. Do they respect the fact you're no tourist, but totally "diasporic"?

John Sakkis said...

rodney,

totes diasporic. but the fact of the matter is, greeks are shady.

francois,

i didn't say opa, just saying, don't say it.

Magie said...

I'm so disappointed in your lack of enthusiasm in Greece. I thought this was the motherland for you and every inch was beauitful. your tainting it for me.

Sky Jack Morgan said...

cemetery water. hahaha