Jan 25, 2009

today...Puryear, Cole, Palmer, Shurin, Levi Strauss, Thackrey at SFMOMA...



Phyllis Wattis Theater

Interviewing Martin Puryear last year, David Levi Strauss described the sculptor’s work in terms of poetry: “I was taught poetics . . . as the study of how things are made, and I also think that much of poetics is about joinery. The place where things are cut and joined together or where they touch is really where meaning is made. And that holds true for poetry or writing as well as for sculptural objects.”



Join Strauss along with poets Norma Cole, Michael Palmer, Aaron Shurin, and Susan Thackrey as they explore arts that take up joinery and consider this intersection of matter and meaning.

2 comments:

Ridiculous Human Things said...

What did you think of this all, John? I'm still gathering my thoughts but I have to say I felt a little frustrated by the lecture-discussion, probably due in part to the fact that I didn't see the Puryear exhibit until AFTER, which did help to clarify some of the tone and approach of the talk. I'd be interested to know how what you thought of it.

Logan Ryan Smith said...

Yr brother totally out-blogs you these days.