Feb 11, 2009

TALKING POINTS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING SINCE I STARTED THIS BLOG

1. Google Alerts has to be the most random and useless thing I've ever been tricked into signing up for. Seriously, can some one explain the logic? Why do I get alerts for things that were posted years/months/days ago. Sometimes I get alerts when I post a new post, sometimes I don't. What's the scoop?

2. I really want to see Neil Gaiman's Coraline. I hate going to the movies. The last movie I saw was Milk because Cat guilted me. And I was grateful I went, but still. The last movie I saw before that was The Chronicles Of Narnia The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe because my Mom wanted to go, I was happy to see it because it made her happy. The last movie I saw before that was The Return Of The King which I took myself to 3 times in a month, I was happy to see that because LOTR rules. So yes, I hate going to the movies (why do thug's hang out at movies? like, I never understood why there were so many thugs at Great America, straight up riding The Revolution trying to look like they're not phased, all "yeah I'm upside down on a giant revolving pirate ship but I'm hella hard, I'm at the amusment park to take care of business")...nothing worse than a fat, masticating thug texting in a movie theater...in my undergraduate Speech class we had to give a persuasive speech...my persuasive speech was all about movie theater etiquette...all about mastication, and cell phones, and thug barbarians, and the retardedness of sitting in a dark room with a group of strangers staring red-eyed at a movie screen...I'm hyper aware of the silliness of it all, to a fault, I can't enjoy the movie, I'm constantly looking around thinking "Jesus look at what that person is wearing..." "go ahead, EAT MORE POPCORN" "your candy bar wrapper is fucking annoying" "did you just say 'that looks good' again?" "can't you just hold it in...you have a pussy-ass bladder" "your laugh is horrifying, shut up, shut up, shut up..." etc...but Coraline looks really good, and it's getting great reviews. I wrote a poem called Coraline years ago, part of this unfinished pretentious book called Yellow (pre-Cold Play)...I think I bought Addonizio's Jimmy And Lucy and then got inspired to write a serial poem about heroin addicts on 6th Street, SF. Yheesh...

3. Last night I met up with Matthew at Lucky 13 for drinks. We then walked in the rain to Q Bar in the Castro where we proceeded to get pretentious. We were talking to this girl and we were being really pretentious. I think I used the non-word "parataxical" and then not to be outdone Matthew said "obstreperous" and then i said "supine" and then Matthew said "feckless" and then I said "truculence" and then we both laughed and said "garrulity" and then the girl said "I'm really good a math" and all was jolly.

4. Yesterday I had beef stew and pretzels for dinner, I had my mom's walnut cake for dessert. I watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and felt sorry for Toby Hooper, or at least for Toby Hooper's legacy.

4 comments:

BB said...

I've got a talking point: you're a pretentious dick (for stealing my device).

word verification: HORTEF. Hm.

I kind of have nothing on that.

John Sakkis said...

word verifications are really 2006.

talk on that.

i think i'm coming to your place on friday. me and cat are mini-vaca for the weekend but leaving on saturday.

Logan Ryan Smith said...

people who use the word "mini-vaca"-- talking point.

brandon's very protective of the things he steals.

i'm glad i wasn't in on the big word game. i would have lost before it started. single syllables is good enough for me!

John Sakkis said...

good one logan.