Feb 14, 2011


epic recording session with Stian yesterday afternoon into night. Stian is really fun to work with, he's really fast, super creative, and intensely talented. i'm lucky dude lives only 3 blocks from me.

recorded 4 new rough draft songs: 1. a Salem'y (I know, I hate them as much as you do, but their sound is so "template" it's really fun to mess around with) "Witch-House" track using one of my poems from Rude Girl as the lyrics (photo above). Total screeching, syrupy reverb on vocals, single syllables lasting 5-10 seconds each. Total dirty, deep, distorted bass with an improvised keyboard melody on top. (I didn't even know Stian was recording while I was messing around with the synthesizer, and then he somehow shaped my diddling melody into a pretty cool theme for the track)

2. a remix/ deconstruction of Preisner's Olivier Olivier theme (we didn't get very far with this one, this is going to take some time, i've been wanting to remix this forever, we need a concrete plan of attack!)


3. a 17 minutes long freestyle rap battle between the two of us that no one in the history of the world will ever be permitted to hear. topics ranged from "Egypt" to "no-homo" to Stian's set of "Handyman Around The House" books. this was epic. this was bro down. this was retarded.

4. I tried to write a Duran Duran meets The Magnetic Fields song. I didn't write the lyrics down, just kind of improvised it. The song started out with some verse structure, but then quickly (d)evolved into a stream of consciousness free for all between the two of us. Imagine in a Stephin Merritt drawl something like

"at the park at the disco
I met you and you love me so/
at the park at the disco
I met you and you love me so.../

(and then I forget what comes after that line...for sure a lot of genius)

Mary Mary quite contrary
you are very scary Mary
Mary Mary quite contrary
you are very scary Mary

(and then undoubtedly something awesome following that that I can't remember right now)

it was kind of a dance track and it ruled. And speaking of dance tracks, did I tell you RERUNNER were on the radio the other day (KALX). I was working the warehouse when the DJ announced RERUNNER. I was stoked.

So yeah, we're going to keep working on these tracks, and more, and then eventually I'll put them on this blog so you can put them on blast.

No comments: