Sep 5, 2013

14. Walt Whitman The Measure Of His Song- ed. Jim Perlman, Ed Folsom and Dan Campion 
Holy Cow! Press


OMG I want a nap.

I swear to OMG I read somewhere in this book that Whitman was a hermaphrodite, could it have been a clumsy metaphor I stupidly took literally as I drifted off to sleep-reading?

from Whitman's obit (nothing about intersexuality mentioned though, drats)

"Walt Whitman died at 6:43 p.m. on March 26, 1892 at the age of 72. Doctors discovered, in a 3-hour autopsy, that Whitman died of pulmonary emphysema or bronchial pneumonia, that the left lung had entirely collapsed, and the right was only barely functioning. The heart was surrounded by abscesses and "about two and a half quarts of water," according to the New York Times. Whitman's brain was removed and sent to the American Anthropometric Society, where it was accidentally destroyed..."

The cover color palette of this book reminds me of my Mom in the early 90s.
Punked perpetually through puberty by a peach n' green palette..., PUKE!
It's my parents 38th anniversary this Saturday, I'll be in Grass Valley saying so long Summer.



No comments: