Mar 6, 2014

2. Child-And-Rose- Gennady Aygi
New Directions



I met Gennady after his reading (one of the best I'd ever seen) at the San Francisco International Poetry Festival in 2003 (Unitarian Center).  After the reading, a group of poets, including Gennady and his translator Peter France, headed over to Edinburgh Castle in the Tenderloin for drinks (I lived across the street at the time). I asked Gennady to sign my copy of Child-And-Rose, he signed it in Russian

to John
with fraternal embrace!

I said to Gennady, with Peter France translating for me

"I wish I could speak Russian and that you spoke English"
 
Gennady replied, again with Peter translating

"Don't worry, we speak through the air"

this was a magical moment for me, I wrote it all down immediately on a napkin from the bar

No comments: