Feb 25, 2012

Books Read 2011

61. 5 Works- The Rejection Group

The Rejection Group is Kent Johnson. 5 Works was published by David Hadbawnik. I republished many of these awesome poems in BOTH BOTH. Here is a video of Kent Johnson reading from that issue of BOTH BOTH.




62. Beauty Was The Case That They Gave Me- Mark Leidner

Mark ordered a cheeseburger, I ordered a Pliny The Elder. I told him and Amanda Nadelberg a story about my high school stalker. About how he showed up at my house one night, about how I thought he might have had a gun (he didn't), about how he accused me of spying on him, of working for nefarious-fill-in-the-blank organization, about how I was poisoning him, drugging him, turning people against him, about how I was monitoring him from the van parked on his block. I very carefully talked him down, tried to appeal to reason, I told him he had to leave, I then called his Dad and told him that his son was very sick.

63. House Of Leaves- Mark Z. Danielewski

I would read this every evening after boxing, I would have to stop once it got dark. Easily the most profoundly unsettling book I've ever read. House Of Leaves is about architecture, the DARK, hallways and Nothing. It's about how we inhabit our houses and how houses inhabit themselves. I made a mix tape called The Navidson Record, I don't reread books often but I know I'll be picking this back up sooner than later.

64. The Power Of Myth- Joseph Campbell/ Bill Moyers

Joseph Campbell is a beautiful man. Bill Moyers is a somewhat annoying interviewer. When Joseph Cambell emplores us to "follow your bliss!" I really feel like following the hell out of my fucking bliss. I just haven't found what my bliss is yet. Do you think most people feel like they know what their bliss is? Or are most of us cluelessly/ carelessly blissless. I don't enjoy reading myth very much (not even the Greek ones), but I could listen to Campbell talk about myth all day.

65. The Poems Of Gaius Valerius Catullus- Brandon Brown

Brandon Brown has written the book of the year, easily. I think Catullus is more like the book of the last few years, let's say 3. This book is so good I'm having a very hard time saying anything about it. You should read it, write about it, recommend it to your friends, pass it around, interview BB, invite him to your birthday party, to your East Bay BBQ, to your road trip to LA...you should invite Brandon Brown up to the Russian River over Memorial Day weekend, do you enjoy fishing and beer? Invite Brandon on your next fishing expedition, organize an orgy and have Brandon be the star, what's Brandon favorite ice cream, I think it's chocolate, you should buy him a pint. If you find yourself kicking it in Dolores Park with BB on one of those deliciously warm but rare San Francisco afternoons, offer to rub sun screen on his naked back.

2 comments:

Hayes said...

i was saying similar things and quoting #85 just now!

John Sakkis said...

for real though, right?!